Visit Castiglione del Lago
Castiglione del Lago is located on a peninsula on the western shores of Lake Trasimeno, towards the north-east of the Umbria region of central Italy.
The territory was originally subject to rule by the Etruscans and Romans, then from the 13th century the town had a great strategic importance because it controlled the roads that went from Rome to Florence.
Explore Castiglione del Lago
Castiglione del Lago is a 'geometric' city, with a layout including three squares, three main roads and three gates, and with a castle donjon that also follows a triangular design. This urban layout of Castiglione del Lago was widely imitated (on a smaller scale) elsewhere in Trasimeno and the Val di Chiana.
The city is still surrounded by the 13th century walls through which there are several gates, such as the Fiorentina and Siena Gates.
Among the religious buildings in Castiglione del Lago the Church of Santa Maria Maddalena stands out. It was built in the early 19th century on the ruins of a previous church of medieval origin and contains frescoes by Pier Mariano Vittori (1817-1888) with the collaboration of Alceste Ricci.
Also remarkable in the church is an altarpiece depicting the 'Madonna and Child, St. Anthony Abbot and Saint Mary Magdalene'* produced in 1500 by Eusebio da San Giorgio (1470-1550), a pupil of Perugino (1450-1520).
* The work is particularly well known because some years ago it was the center of a heated controversy over its attribution to Raphael (1483-1520).
Another church of interest is the Church of Saint Dominic of Guzman, which stands out for its coffer skirting board. It was built in the first half of the 17th century by Duke Alessandro Fulvio Corgna as a sign of gratitude for the successful healing of his wife Eleanor de Mendoza.
Della Corgna palace
From an artistic point of view the real jewel of Castiglione del Lago is the Della Corgna Palace which contains some frescoes of exceptional value (another palace of the della Corgna can be seen in Città della Pieve).
This Palace was built by Galeazzo Alessi* (1500-1572), then completed by Diomede (died 1592) and was considered to be like a royal palace because of its gardens.
The building has four floors, and was divided into two apartments, for Diomede and Cardinal Fulvio. The richness of the building is enhanced by the cycle of frescoes, attributed to Nicholas Circignani (known as Pomarancio, 1520-1597):
“In the entrance hall, the frescoes celebrate the marriage of the Duke Diomedes with Portia Colonna, chosen among others as Paris chose Venus, the most beautiful of the goddesses. In the main entrance the frescoes show the enterprises of the founder of the dynasty, Ascanio, with the evolution of his military career" (W. Pagnotta, “Monumenti dipinti. Gli affreschi del Palazzo della Corgna in Castiglione del Lago (Italia)”).
Attractions near Castiglione del Lago
The landscape around Castiglione del Lago, surrounded by woods and a natural environment which dominates a lake full of fish, is a very “artistic landscape", while the area around the lake is full of trails suitable for trekking and mountain biking.
See also history of Castiglione del Lago
See more information about the artists mentioned at Italian renaissance artists
Photos taken within 10 km
Map of Castiglione del Lago & places nearby
Magione 12 km
Lisciano Niccone 15 km
Cortona 16 km
Chianciano 19 km