Cagli is an interesting historical town to the west of the center of the Marche region of Italy, rebuilt in the Middle Ages, after its earlier destruction in 1286.
The urban layout of Cagli was designed according to the rules of the Roman urban tradition, that is with a rectangular layout.This layout was designed according to a plan by Ascoli Piceno, and in honour of Pope Nicholas IV, a native of the city.
Some scholars believed that Cagli was of Roman origin, but modern research has confirmed the hypothesis of Mochi: "The Roman orthogonal layout of Cagli is due to the fact that it was inspired by the Roman plan of Ascoli Piceno, the town in which Nicholas IV was born".
Cagli is a city of great artistic value, overflowing with works of art, many of which were carried out under the rule of the Montefeltro.
Gaetano Lapis*, Giovanni Santi, Raffaello's father and Francesco di Giorgio Martini were among the well known artists who worked here for a long time, leaving an indelible mark of their prowess.
Lapis in particular handed down to us a body of over 30 works in Cagli, starting from the Cathedral of Cagli. Begun in the late 13th century the cathedral suffered serious damage from earthquakes, especially that of 1781.
The current imposing cathedral, 50 meters long, has three aisles and a large number of works of art, especially by Lapis, but also by Sebastiano Conca, Luigi Garzi* (1638-1721) and Giovanni Battista Salvo (1609 – 1685) known as "Sassoferrato" ("Madonna and Child"), and an "Annunciation", attributed to the workshop of Federico Barocci (1535-1612).
On the altar of the second chapel note the "Death of S. Andrea Avellino” by Gaetano Lapis, dating to 1758, and in the church tympanum Lapis also painted the "Eternal Father". On the marble altar of the third chapel there is a painting by Sebastiano Conca* depicting the" Madonna and Child.
Other Cagli churches
Some of the other churches in Cagli are also very interesting from the artistic point of view, such as the Church of Saint Peter, built at the beginning of the 14th century and with a portal in sandstone.
The interior has a single nave with a barrel vault, with some works by Gaetano Lapis such as the "Virgin and Child with Saints Peter and Paul".
We find another work by Lapis in the Church of Saint Nicholas, with a single nave and the "Madonna of the Rosary and St. Dominic".
Finally, in the church and Convent of the Capuchins in Cagli is an altar-piece representing the "Dead Christ", attributed to Girolamo Cialdieri* (1593 - 1646).
Other Cagli monuments
Finally we suggest you conclude your visit with a look at two other notable buildings in Cagli, the Public Palace and the so-called "Torrione", which was part of the defenses built for Duke Federico da Montefeltro.
This 'Rock of Cagli' (now a Centre for Contemporary Sculpture) is considered to be one of the most significant and highly innovative works by Francesco di Giorgio Martini.
Attractions near Cagli
The surroundings of Cagli are no less evocative and rich in art and history and dotted with interesting fortresses, such as the Castle of Brancaleoni (Piobbico), and with protected areas particularly suitable for nature lovers.
For those who love good food, Cagli offers a number of local dishes, with particular preference for dishes based on venison, mushrooms and truffles.
See also history of Cagli
*For more information about the artiists see medieval and renaissance Italian painters
Photos taken in and near Cagli, Marche
Map of Cagli sightseeing & popular sights
Selected places to visit near Cagli, Italy
See the Marche guide for more travel ideas...