See Mondovi guide for highlights and historic monuments
According to known documents, Mondovi was founded in 1198, after the destruction of the city of “Bredolo”. The survivors from Bredolo joined in a new free and independent community - the independence of the town, however, was brief, as the bishop of Asti, allied with the Marquis of Ceva, managed to capture it in 1200, and later, in 1231, to destroy it.
Mondovi rose again in 1232 and, forming an alliance with Milan, Savigliano and Cuneo, resisted the new attack by Asti. In 1260 it was occupied by Charles I of Anjou (1226-1285), who largely extended his domain in the Piedmont.
Origins of the name Mondovi
The etymology of the name of the city of Mondovi has its roots in the Latin "Mons Vicus" ["Mountain Village"]. According to G..B. Pellegrini, around 1214, it was called "Monte de Vico" and then it was also called "Royal Mount", or "mountain belonging to the royal domain” .
In 1274 it returned under the bishops of Asti, then in 1290, upon payment of a sum of money, it obtained the recognition of its autonomy. The large sovereign rights and privileges obtained by the city gave rise to the name by which it was called throughout the Middle Ages, or "Mons Regalis" [“Royal Mount”].
In 1305 the city suffered a second rule of the Anjou, who were succeeded by the Visconti, Marquis of Monferrato, Achaia and, from 1418, the Savoy.
After that Mondovi became, in the 16th century, the most populous city of Piedmont. In 1537 it was occupied by the French and, with ups and downs, it remained under their rule until 1559. In 1560 Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy (1528-1580) restored the domain.
After its entry into the kingdom of Italy in 1861, and from the early 20th century, the city expanded and the modern city has moved its 'center of gravity' towards the new industrial and residential districts, where some economic activities are developed.
1. See G.B. Pellegrini, "Italian toponymy", Milan, Hoepli, 1990: 235