The town of Bassano-del-Grappa has very ancient origins, and we know it was inhabited in prehistoric times, as shown by archaeological finds and a protovillanovian necropolis (X-VIII century B.C.) discovered around St. George in Angarano.
Bassano was later conquered by the Romans, who called it Bossianus.
Around the 10th century a fortress was built that was later transformed into a castle, with some houses that developed around it - this was the first real core of 'modern' Bassano.
In early 1200 the famous 'Bridge of Bassano' was built.
In the Middle Ages and up until the 15th century, Bassano suffered from being the centre of many rivalries and was in turn defeated by many Italian Seignoiries: the Vicenza, the Scaligeri (Scala family from Verona), the Visconti from Milan and Padua all established their domination of Bassano at different times.
In early 1400 it was conquered by the Venetians, who ruled until the fall of the 'Serenissima'. The years of Venetian rule were, overall, prosperous for Bassano, which was embellished by numerous palaces and churches, and various manufacturing activities linked to the production of silk, ceramics and wool.
After 1600 the city entered a period of decline.
In the 18th century, following the invasion of Italy by Napoleon, the city was ruled by the French, then after the fall of Napoleon by the Austrians (1814).
Finally, after the struggles of the Risorgimento, Bassano became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.